IELTS Speaking Practice Test 1 In 2019 With Model Answes


Part 1

Where do you usually watch TV programmes/shows?
What is your favorite TV programmes/shows?
Are there any programmes/shows you don’t like to watch?
Do you think you will watch more TV or fewer TV programmes/shows in the future?

Part 2

Describe someone you know who has started a business.

You should say:

            Who this person is

            What work this person does

            Why this person decided to start a business

And explain whether you would like to do the same kind of work as this person



Part 3

Choosing work
What kinds of jobs do young people not want to do in your country?
Who is best at advising young people about choosing a job: teachers or parents?
Is money always the most important thing when choosing a job?
Do you agree that many people nowadays are under pressure to work longer hours and take less holiday?
What is the impact on society of people having a poor work-life balance?
Could you recommend some effective strategies for governments and employers to ensure people have a good work-life balance?

MODEL ANSWERS

Part 1
Where do you usually watch TV programmes/shows?
Well, I am not really a fan of TV because you can basically watch everything on your laptop nowadays. I used to watch TV a lot when I was a kid – you know, all the cartoon channels and stuff. That’s why I am short-sighted now.
What is your favorite TV programmes/shows?
As I mentioned before, I was crazy for cartoon when I was small. You know there were a mixed variety of TV programs for children, among which I found Cartoon network the most appealing due to the lively and humorous characters. It could keep me sitting for hours.
Are there any programmes/shows you don’t like to watch?
Definitely advertisement… I hate to be disturbed by adverts when I was in middle of wonderful movies or TV shows. I understand that it is a way to keep people in suspense but too much advertisement can be annoying sometimes. That’s the reason why I switched to watch on the Internet which has less commercial ads.
Do you think you will watch more TV or fewer TV programmes/shows in the future?
I will watch less for sure. Why do I need to watch TV when I already have the Internet? I can re-watch my favorite sit-com or reality showanytime I want. However, I don’t want to become a couch potato so I d’ better limit my time with any screens.

Vocabulary:
Short-sighted (adj):  unable to see things clearly
To be crazy for: really like something
Appealing (adj): attractive or interesting
Keep s.o in suspense: If you keep or leave someone in suspense , you deliberately delay telling them something
Become a couch potato: a lazy and inactive person

Part 2
Describe someone you know who has started a business
You should say:
            Who this person is
            What work this person does
            Why this person decided to start a business
And explain whether you would like to do the same kind of work as this person
Today I would like to tell you about Mark Zuckerberg who is a famous technology entrepreneur and the founder of Facebook Corporation.
Well, I think everybody knows Mark as one of the statue in start-up world because he set up his own businesswhen he was still a student in Harvard University.
He firstly created a social network with profile information of his friends in the dorm which attracted hundreds of users just in a week. Nobody would think that this hobby could turn into a multi-million dollar business 10 years later, especially when he was still so young at that time.
You know what, I think he was so clever to foresee the potential profitof this application so he co-operated with some friends to raise the company profile. Nowadays, Facebook is widely used by millions of people all over the world which brought an impressive sale figure to the company. However, you must have heard that Mark recently faced a scandal of leaking customer personal information, because of which, he must testify with the authorities. Of course.. no pain no gain ..
Despite of this issue, I still admire him so much for his talent and determination and want to become a successful entrepreneur like him. Start-up has never been a piece of cake, especially in such adverse competition, you have to be very unique to stand out but once you are you can earn a fortune. I love the feeling of being challenged because only am I pushed to my limit, my full potentials will be unlocked. Who know, in the future, I might run my own online education business.
That’s all I want to share.

Vocabulary:
set up own’s own business
Multi-million dollar business 
potential profit 
raise the company profile 
sale figure 
leaking customer personal information 
no pain no gain 
a piece of cake 
adverse competition 
earn a fortune 
to be pushed to one’s limit 
potentials will be unlocked  

Part 3
Choosing work
What kinds of jobs do young people not want to do in your country?
That’s an interesting question, let me think about it… I would say it is labour job.. you know.. stuff like cleaners, builders and waiters. The reasons are probably low salary and intense labour. In fact, many students work part-time as waiter and waitress but it is just temporary job. As soon as they graduate from college, they will compete to get a position in office because white-collar workersare still more preferable than blue-collar workers.
Who is best at advising young people about choosing a job: teachers or parents?
Well I would say it depends. While teachers would have a better knowledge of student’s academic performance, parents will know their kids’ personalities the most. In terms of job market, I suppose they have equal amount of knowledge. Therefore, it is the best for the young to consult with whoever they feel more comfortable with.
Is money always the most important thing when choosing a job?
Not necessarily… you know that all millionaires in the world doesn’t work for money but for passion. It is said that “If you love your job, you won’t have to work a day in your life” and I completely believe in it. For me, I can’t imagine myself get stuck in a nine-to-five job without any job satisfaction.

Work-life balance
Do you agree that many people nowadays are under pressure to work longer hours and take less holiday?
Yes, I think so. We are living in an increasingly competitive world and there is no doubt that the labour market is getting more selective. Students from top universities will have higher chance of being hired, and even after that, they are likely to be exploited by excessive workloadand constant pressure. Therefore, maintaining work-life balance is vitally important for workers.
What is the impact on society of people having a poor work-life balance?
That’s truly intriguing.. To be honest, I have never thought about it before. I guess they will be a negative impact on the community because they don’t have enough time to take care of family and friends. As a result, they do not only destroy themselves but also hurt people around them. If there are thousands of workaholics like that, you can imagine what the domino effect will be like. To be honest, I would never do that myself.
Could you recommend some effective strategies for governments and employers to ensure people have a good work-life balance?
Well definitely governments should impose law restricting the number of hours that people can work per day. Although it is necessary to work overtime once in a while, it shouldn’t become daily habit. I suggest that the authorities can even punish business owners if they let their employees work later than 5pm. It may sound too controlling but the sad news is that many people in Japan killed themselves for over-working which shouldn’t have happened if the Japanese government had ways to manage this issue from the beginning.
Vocabulary:
white-collar workers: White-collar workers work in offices rather than doing physical work
blue-collar workers: Blue-collar workers work in industry , doing physical work
nine-to-five job:  a job during regular business hours usually in an office
job satisfaction:  a feeling of fulfillment or enjoyment that a person derives from their job



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Classroom Language For Teachers and Students of English

IELTS Speaking Practice Test 2 in 2019 & Model Answers

200 Common phrasal verbs with meanings and example sentences